Brain based coaching for chronic health conditions including Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (CFS/ME), Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS), Dysautonomia, and stress, trauma related disorders.
- Rewire your brain for health, healing, and wellness
- Learn mind/body skills to reduce stress and increase resilience (meditation, releasing, EFT)
Mind/body Health Coaching is a method of coaching based on the principles and practices of mind/body medicine and modern neuroscience to help you rewire your brain and balance your nervous system. Coaching will give you self care tools and mind/body practices to decrease stress and rewire your brain for self healing. Mind/Body Coaching is a powerful adjunct to bodywork and manual therapy because it allows you to be an active participant in your recovery.
The Autonomic Nervous System (ANS) is an important piece in the treatment of many chronic health/pain conditions including fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.
- The ANS is the master controller of the body's metabolism, hormone production, immune system, and emotions.
- When the ANS becomes imbalanced from excessive stress and trauma, it can create many chronic problems resulting in many symptoms.
- The ANS controls most of the body’s involuntary processes, including, digestion, circulation, respiration, and metabolism. It also is responsible for our fight/flight/freeze responses.
- When the ANS becomes imbalanced it can create many chronic problems resulting in many symptoms.
- Dysautonomia - is a term used to describe dysfunction of the autonomic nervous system. It is typically used as a term for certain illnesses including Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy(RSD) and POTS.
- However, some researchers and clinicians believe that Dysautonomia is a contributing factor with many other chronic illnesses including: Fibromyalgia, Anxiety, MCS, PTSD, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME, CFS).
ANS imbalance may also be related to many other conditions and symptoms including:
Post Concussion syndrome
High/low Blood Pressure
**It is important to always see a medical doctor to address any medical conditions and symptoms. Symptoms may be a sign of serious illness.
Stress, trauma, and the ANS
- There are many sources of stress and trauma including: emotional, psychological, physical, chemical, viral, and bacterial that have an impact on optimal brain function.
- This can overload the nervous system and put it in a chronic state of autonomic nervous system imbalance that can result in many chronic health problems and physical/ emotional symptoms.
- This can sensitize the brain which keeps a person stuck in a state of "fight/ flight/freeze", keeping the body from regenerating.
- This wreaks havoc on all of the systems of the body resulting in a multitude of symptoms. When the nervous system is imbalanced due to excessive stress or trauma it keeps the body's systems from functioning properly.
“What a great majority, if not all, ‘syndromal’ clients have in common is a functional disorder in how the autonomic nervous system is responding to stress.” Peter Levine- founder of Somatic Experieincing
The Power of Neuroplasticity:
The good news is that our brain and nervous system is more malleable then was previously thought. We can rewire our brain and learn to balance our nervous system through the power of neuroplasticity.
In Dr. Norman Doidge's book, "The Brain's Way of Healing" , he describes how the mind and body can become partners in healing the brain. He gives examples of how somatic and sensory based approaches can help rewire the brain.
Mind/Body Medicine is a non medical approach to health and healing that honors the connection between the mind, brain, body, and spirit. Mind/Body medicine harnesses the power of an individual's thoughts, attention, somatic (body) awareness, and emotions to positively influence health, thereby tapping into the natural healing force within each person. Mind/body medicine is based on the recognition of the body's innate healing potential, and the partnership of patient and facilitator in restoring the body to health.
Mind/body Health Coaching is a method of coaching based on the principles and practices of mind/body medicine and modern neuroscience to help you rewire your brain and balance your nervous system. Coaching will give you self care tools and mind/body practices to decrease stress and rewire your brain for self healing. Mind/Body Coaching is a powerful adjunct to bodywork and manual therapy because it allows you to be in active participant in your recovery. Mind/body Health Coaching draws from the principles and practices of mind/body medicine , neurobiology, positive psychology, neurolinguistic programming, trauma theory, occupational therapy, and somatic experiencing to facilitate self healing, decrease stress and improve wellness and vitality. MBHC is a combination of approaches I used to heal from severe multiple chemical sensitivity (MCS), brain fog, heart palpitations, asthma as a result of black mold exposure. Coaching is not therapy and be done over the phone.
Disclaimer - Mind/Body Coaching is NOT mental health counselling, psychotherapy or medical advice/treatment. It is not meant to diagnose or treat any disease.
**The information provided on this site is for educational purposes only, and is not intended as diagnosis, treatment or prescription for any disease or illness. The decision to use, or not to use, any of this information is the sole responsibility of the reader. Always consult with a licensed health care practitioner when dealing with as disease, illness, or health condition.
copyright 2018 Walter Blick, New York, New York